In DIY, Inspiration, Our Home on
October 27, 2017

Fall 2017 One Room Challenge – Week 4: DIY, Why oh Why?

I cannot believe we are already in week 4 of the ORC! This week was all about DIY, which is REALLY not my thing, but I became a DIY crazy lady with multiple trips to Home Depot, measuring, re-measuring, painting, cutting…you name it, I was in DIY hell heaven. And I will be the first to admit that despite my endless complaining this past week I am VERY pleased with the results. Maybe even a little proud of myself.

I had 3 projects in mind, one big one and two smaller ones. The big one involved transforming this plain Ikea dresser into a stylish masterpiece:

This is the Tarva dresser and a simple Internet search will reveal that many people are hacking it to create the dresser of their dreams. I was particularly inspired by Kristina Lynne’s version:

Source

I simply followed her instructions and it turned out great! I did make one change, substituting the dark walnut stain she used for english chestnut (see why below).

Here are my progress pics:

To make the legs look modern I asked our handy friend with a circular saw to cut them on an angle. Warning: do not take these legs to Home Depot with the expectation that they can cut them. They cannot. I’ll save you the trip now 🙂

I used some leftover White Dove paint from Benjamin Moore, but any clean white will do. I recommend a semi-gloss finish. Don’t forget to paint the centre strip (which I did later), as you can see it when the drawers are closed.

Sources:
Knobs
Gold paint

As I mentioned earlier, I did change out the stain recommended in the tutorial (Dark Walnut) with this one, English Chestnut, which produced a much warmer tone.

You can see the difference between the Dark Walnut (bottom) and the English Chestnut (top) here:

The Dark Walnut was way too dark for me. I had to reverse the bottom strips to start over again, so hopefully no one will ever take a peek at the back of this unit!

Oh, and I highly recommend removing these bottom strips and legs before you stain them, as I did here:

I would love to show you how the dresser turned out but I think I’ll wait until the final ORC reveal for that. But, I will say that it looks damn good! I’m not going to lie, it’s a fair amount of work, but I do think it was worth it.

As for the other two DIY projects, here’s my artwork from Homesense (Homegoods in US) that just needed some fresh white spray paint along the edge. I considered leaving it as is, but didn’t want the clash of dark wood with my warm wood bed frame:

First I taped along the edge, then added paper and taped along those edges, making sure to seal it completely.

Again, you’ll have to wait until the ORC week 6 reveal to see how it turned out.

As for my last DIY project, the simple bench. Well, let’s just say it looked a bit underwhelming for the bedroom space, so I have decided to use it elsewhere in the house.

Calling it a week! I am DIY’ed out, and looking forward to lazily purchasing future items with the simple click of a button.

Don’t forget to check out other ORC week 4 progress by visiting the Featured Designers and Guest Participants. See you next week for a run down of some fun stuff – accessories, yay!

ORC Week 2 | ORC Week 3 | ORC Week 4 | ORC Week 5 | ORC Week 6 | ORC Reveal

Share this post:
Previous Post Next Post

Leave a Reply

You may also like